Ohio State nav bar

Information for New Arrivals

This page contains information on obtaining a Chemistry Copier Code or accessing the SEL copiers and an introduction to chartfields.

Chemistry Copy Codes and SEL Copier Access

  • In order to be assigned a copier code for the Department of Chemistry's copiers or get access to the Science and Engineering Library (SEL) copiers, you must fill out a Copy Code Request Form [pdf]. This form must be filled out completely and must be signed by your advisor in order to ensure your copies are charged to the correct account.

  • The same form can be used to request a code for Chemistry copiers, the Science and Engineering copiers or both.

  • If you are requesting access to the SEL copiers, you must provide a clear and legible copy of your BuckID card. Your BuckID card will be used to make copies on SEL copiers.

  • Once you have filled out and obtained the appropriate signatures for the Copy Code Request form, turn it in to the Chemistry Accounting Office in 1104 Newman & Wolfrom Lab.

  • After a code has been assigned to you and/or your BuckID card has been activated for the SEL copiers, you will receive an email with your code as well as instructions for using the SEL copiers.

  • The instructions for the SEL copiers can also be found on the Chemistry home page in the Accounting section.

  • If you have any questions about the form, instructions or anything else relating to gaining access to the copiers, please contact the Chemistry Accounting Office in 1104 NW or email at accounting@chemistry.ohio-state.edu

Science and Engineering Library Copy Services


  1. You will only be able to us the same machines that you were previously using for this specific purpose. You will not be able to use any other copiers or printers that accept BuckID for this purpose. 
  2. You WILL be able to use all of those copiers and printers for your personal copying and printing charges.
  3. Departmental copying charges will not be charged to your individual BuckID account as long as you follow the directions below. Reimbursement for copying that you inadvertantly charge to your BuckID will be between you and your department. 

Here are the instructions for using your BuckID to complete departmental copying:

  1. Press the ACCT OVRIDE button. This button is located in the top row of buttons on the reader.
  2. Enter your ACCOUNT NUMBER (6001) and press enter. This account number will only be valid for those persons that the department has authorized to use it in conjunction with your BuckID card. DO NOT put this number on a sticker with your BuckID card. the account number (pin) is located on your e-mail message.
  3. Slide your card into the reader with the magnetic stripe facing right. Leave the card in the reader while making copies.
  4. Make the copies that are required.
  5.  Remove your BuckID.
  6. If you see a "LOW BAL" message, please contact Chemistry Accounting.

If you have any problems, please give us a call at 292-0400. Your department will receive a monthly statement that will include your name and all copies that have been made on the departmental account. If you lose your BuckID, please report it immediately to 292-0400 (Mon thru Fri) or at 292-4357 at all other times (24/7).

Introduction to Chartfields: UNIV & OSURF

Expenditure Policy

Chartfields are used in the OSU Financial System to designate where funds are to be assigned or where expenses are to be charged. All paper or electronic forms used for payroll, procurement or financial reporting will request or refer to a specific chartfield combination. Chartfield information is required in order to enter any information into the financial system such as requests to order goods or services, requests to hire people and process payroll and to allow funding to be received from other areas.
There are three major chartfield groups in use at OSU, those used by the University (UNIV), those used by the OSU Research Foundation (OSURF) for sponsored projects and those used by the OSU Medical Center (OSUMC). Only UNIV and OSURF chartfields are used in Chemistry.
This document describes the various fields used in the entire chartfield record, responsibility for chartfield ownership and how information to monitor financial activity is communicated thru the university and OSURF monthly financial reports.

University Chartfields

UNIT: UNIV is default value and is not specified by the user
ORG: 5 digits, required
FUND: 6 digits, required
ACCOUNT: 5 digits, required
PROJECT: 6-15 digits, only used for university designated projects
PROGRAM: 5 digits, only used for university designated programs
USER DEFINED: 6 digits, optional

OSURF Chartfields

UNIT: OSURF is default value and is not specified by the user
ORG: 5 digits required
FUND: required and is always 590000
ACCOUNT: 5 digits required
PROJECT: 6-10 digits, required, as assigned by OSURF 7xxxxx or 6xxxxx
PROGRAM: not used
USER DEFINED: not used

The order of the fields may vary on different forms but their use is always the same.

Orgs, Funds, Accounts, Projects, & Programs - a description of the fields

Org: The organization number identifies the department, office or academic support area. When an org number is created in the financial system it is assigned an org name that describes or identifies its function. Chemistry assigns a unique org number to each faculty and uses their last name as the org name. In addition, various support areas have their own identifying org number. For example, org 06324 has the name description of "Chem- Admininistrative Office". The same faculty org used for Caley funds, funds of type 011000, will also be used for most OSURF grant proposals and OSURF project accounting.

  • Fund: This chartfield segment is used to describe the sources and uses of monies provided for a specific purpose. Types of Funds are designated by their first numeric digit:
  • Fund 011000: Fund 011000 and other funds that begin with "0xxxxx", are referred to as General Funds and are used by all units across campus. Fund 011000 is used within Chemistry to manage budget funding and spending for all of the cost centers in the department such as individual faculty units, undergraduate studies and administrative support areas.
    • These funds are primarily budgeted from state money (state subsidies, student tuition/fees) channeled thru the College of Math and Physical Sciences (MAPS) to Chemistry. These are sometimes called "Caley accounts" when referring to their use by faculty but this is a term only used within the Chemistry department. Every faculty member has at least one fund 011000 which is established when their org number is created. Because these funds record the receipt and spending of state monies there are some restrictions on the type of expenses that may be charged to them.
  • Funds 1xxxxx: Earnings or Conference Funds. These funds are supported by revenues earned from conference fees or from billings charged for various services.
  • Funds 2xxxxx and 6xxxxx: Endowment Funds. 2xxxxx funds are used to record the annual income from specific endowments and record any expense activity. Every 2xxxxx fund will have a related 6xxxxx fund which is used to track the endowment principal. For example, a fund 219380 is used to record the annual earnings from the endowment principal in related fund 619380. No expense can be charged to an endowment principal fund. 
  • Fund 3xxxxx: Development Funds. These are usually from one-time gifts from individuals, corporations or other donors to the department. There may be restrictions from the donor on how funds may be spent. 
  • Fund 590000: All OSURF projects use fund 590000 as a default.

There are other types of funds in use but these are the most common academic funds.

Account: This 5 digit segment is used to describe the type of revenue/expense or asset/ liability/equity for a given org/fund. All account numbers and related descriptions are established by the central university accounting office and are used by all areas. For example, account 61201: Office Supplies Expense, is used to record charges for office supplies for every org/fund, regardless of the type of fund. A sample of commonly used accounts is included at the end of this section.

The minimum chartfield required to record a university transaction will be org/fund/ account. For example, org: 06280, fund: 011000, account: 61201 would be used to charge office supplies expense to Chemistry admin org 06280 on its general fund 011000.

The account number will generally be provided by Chemistry accounting or human resources in order to comply with university guidelines.

University Projects: There are a few university project numbers that are in use within the Chemistry area. These may be alphanumeric fields from 6-15 digits. Projects have a definite start and ending date.

OSURF Projects: OSURF will assign a 10 digit project number to all projects administered by them. Prior to a system upgrade in 2004, projects were assigned a 7xxxxx project number. Currently all projects are assigned a 6xxxxxxx project number. A sample OSURF chartfield would take the form: org: 06280, fund 590000, account: 61203, project: 6000927.

Program: The Program segment is used for university or department-specified initiatives that are of an ongoing nature. It is important to use the correct org/fund associated with a given program.

User Defined: This segment is used for internal reporting needs not covered by other chartfield segments. Unlike other segments, the user defined is created internally by Chemistry and not by the central university accounting department.

Account Numbers in use for Common University Expenses (non-payroll)

Office and Research Supplies
61201 Office Supplies (usually not allowable for OSURF)
61203 Scientific and Educational Supplies
61210 Gases - Medical and Other
61211 Chemicals
61212 Radioactive Materials

Computer Related Expenses
61247 Computer Supplies: Use for hardware, monitors and printers
61260 Telecommunication Supplies: use for network installation, cables, moves
61287 Computer Software
65314 Computer Equip/Capitalized - $5,000 or more and useful life of two years or more
65514 Computer Equip/Non-Cap - under $5,000

Equipment - under $5,000
65511 Office Equipment and Furniture (non-cap)
65517 Equipment - Other (non-cap)

Equipment - over $5,000 and useful life of two years or more
65311 Office Equipment (capitalized)
65317 Equipment - Other (capitalized)

61801 Postage
61802 Express/Parcel

Repair and Maintenance
62401 Equipment repair & Maintenance

Printing and Copy Services
63201 Copy Services
63204 Printing
63206 Publication Services

Travel - all travel requires travel request form be submitted prior to travel
63401 Ohio Travel - Univ Employee
63401 Ohio Travel - Non University persons
63405 Out of State - Univ Employee
63406 Out of State - Non University persons
63408 Foreign Travel - Univ Employee
63415 Foreign Travel - Non University persons

Other Expenditures - See Expense Policy Guidelines
63606 Purchased Services - general
63646 Honorarium
64401 Dues & Memberships
64402 Subscriptions, Periodicals, Books
64408 Business Meals - use when at least one non-OSU person attending (speakers)
64409 Faculty Recruitment
64437 Grad/Prof Student Recruitment
64443 Staff Recruitment
64411 Employee Recognition
64412 Meetings - use for food served at university functions when 64408 is N/A
64413 Conferences and Training
64415 Lodging
64430 A-21 Entertainment & Gifts - use for alcohol at meals

Spending Authority and Fund/Project Administration

All University and OSURF chartfields will have at least one individual assigned to the chartfield giving them spending authority and administration responsibility. This individual will be responsible for complying with university, OSURF, college and departmental expense policies as well as approving and monitoring all spending activity on their respective funds and projects. 

Monthly financial reports for University funds will be distributed by Chemistry Accounting to the person having primary spending authority over the respective chartfield. 
Monthly and daily financial reports for OSURF projects are available from the OSURF e-MEFS monthly reports link and OSURF PI Portal link. These are accessed thru the OSURF home page.

Both the university and OSURF do not allow deficit spending unless documented arrangements are made to resolve the deficit or confirm that funding will be forthcoming to resolve the deficit. This must be communicated to the Chemistry Administrative Manager and Chemistry Accounting in order to allow future order requests to be assigned to any respective funds, programs or projects that have current deficits.

Creating a Purchase request

Once you have gained access and logged into the OPR System you will see the online Procurement Request form. At the top of the screen will be recent news that is relevant to you. This is followed by a list of orders you have put into the system and their current status. Next is your user profile. Chemistry Accounting will use this as the default information for informing the vendor who the department contact is and where to deliver the purchased item. You may update your user profile by clicking the "Your user profile" link. Your default chartfield information is also held here.

Step 1

Check the Chartfield information that has defaulted into the request form to be sure it is correct. If you need to update it you will do it now. If the system refuses to accept your chartfield information contact Computer Support to add new chartfield information or troubleshoot. If the default chartfield information is erased and not replaced the DPR will be listed as a problem and you will need to reenter the request.

Step 2

This is a drop down menu that contains a list of Vendors in the DPR Database. If your vendor is not in the database click on the Input Vendor button and add them. You may wish to contact accounting @chemistry.ohio-state.edu to inform them that you are adding a vendor. If the vendor is not in the Peoplesoft system you will be asked to have the vendor fill out an AP Compliance form. Once filled out the form must be sent to Chemistry Accounting so that they may get the vendor added to Peoplesoft. This can take several days.

Step 3

Begin to add the items that you wish to purchase, you may add as many additional lines as your require to list all of your items.

Step 4

Choose how you would like the PO to be dispatched from a menu of options.

Step 5 - the comments section.

Please put any additional information needed for your PO here. Quote numbers, delivery addresses if other than the default and any special instructions required to complete your order.

Once you have clicked on the Submit request button the owner of the chartfield will receive an e-mail notification that there is an order for them to approve. After they have approved the order it will take its place in the queue for Chemistry Accounting to create a requisition or a purchase order in the Peoplesoft system. Please keep track of your requests to see when they are approved. If your order has not been approved after a few days check with the approver and find out if you need to correct anything and to remind them that there is an order waiting for their approval.

Chemistry Accounting will process orders to eStores vendors and orders over $5,000.00 as requisitions. Orders to non eStores vendors under $5,000.00 will be turned directly into purchase orders. These requisitions and purchase orders will await approval of the department’s approval officer. Once approved eStores requisitions are automatically turned into purchase orders and sent to the vendor. Other requisitions are sent to central purchasing where a buyer will use the information to create a PO to send to the vendor. Purchase orders on University funds will wait to be dispatched by Chemistry Accounting. Purchase orders on OSURF funds will await dispatch by a buyer at OSURF.

Once Chemistry Accounting has processed your DPR you will receive a notification of either the PO number or the Requisition number. If you have not received anything from the vendor after a week and you have a PO number you should contact the vendor to check on the order. If you have a Requisition number and you have not received anything you should contact Chemistry Accounting to get the PO number and find out if it has been dispatched to the vendor. If it has been dispatched contact the vendor with the PO number to check on your order.

The format for a purchase order number is as follows:

Univ: 068209AA01 - six digits followed by two letters followed by two numbers.
OSURF: RF01159985 - RF followed by eight digits

The format for a requisition number is as follows:

Univ: 06820901AA - eight digits followed by two letters.
OSURF: RR00201189 - RR followed by eight digits

I put this information here so you could instantly recognise whether or not a number you are looking at is a PO number a Requisition number or neither.